Monday, February 4, 2013

16 miles


16.2 miles. I had to take a trip to a local hiking/outdoor sports store to pick up some energy gel this morning since I only had one left and the only brand they had was Gu. I picked up the vanilla flavor because I thought it said no caffeine when the rest said caffeine, but after I bought it, I realized it had caffeine too. Oh well. I needed something. I ate one 15 minutes before my run, my last power bar energy gel after my first 5 miles, and another Gu after the next 5 miles.That's all I was planning to use, but in my last lap (my route was my 5.6 mile route x3) I had to eat another one. I was breathing ok, but my body just wouldn’t go, and I felt so hungry and tired and couldn’t jog any more even though it was a descending part of my route. I was only planning on eating 2 energy gels on that run and brought the third as an emergency back up and was being stubborn at first about eating it, but I realized I wasn’t going to ever make it home without something. I was surprised at the relief I felt after I ate it, and I was able to continue to jog (at least the downhill and flats). I brought more water this time in my hydration pack (about 30 oz) and drank all of it before I finished with a couple miles to go.

My first 5 mile lap was great (I kept my pace slow), my second 5 mile lap was tolerable (my pace became a bit slower), my last 6 miles or so I had to endure (I didn’t know I could go any slower than I was when I started…but I can). I averaged about 13 minute miles and had to walk more in my last 5 mile lap than I did my first two times around. The whole 16.2 miles took me 3 ½ hours. Most people could probably power walk right next to me.

Compared to the Power Bar vanilla flavor energy gel, Gu is a freaking dessert. I was expecting nastiness, and was pleasantly surprised at the first one I ate before my run. During my run it was kind of hard to swallow because it was so sweet, but definitely more palatable than the power bar brand vanilla flavor. The caffeine didn't make me feel sick, but I still feel like I cheated using a drug. Haha.

Overall I feel ok. My feet were and are still tired like always and I’m tired now, and I’ll be hungry for the rest of the day like always, but I’m not dead. I’m feeling pretty good right now.

No comments: