Thursday, February 14, 2013

Don't feed the animals

As I went to plug in my vacuum cleaner I noticed a ball of gray hanging out at my back door. Hello kitty! She meowed and ran away upon seeing me, but returned after I stepped outside and started talking to her. She was hesitant, took her time in approaching me, let me pet her only once, but was very colloquial and responded to everything I said. I had sat down on the concrete just outside my glass sliding door, and she walked passed me, poked her head through the door I had left ajar, and proceeded to cautiously let herself in through the vertical door blinds. At that moment, I named her Roomie. I waited a moment, then got up to follow her in when she didn't come right back out; she startled and ran back outside when I pulled the blinds to the side to enter. I thought my visitor might be thirsty (I was afraid of making a friend for life, even though I kinda sorta wanted to, so I wasn't going to feed her yet- I even told her I only had water for her and that was it. She responded with, "whatever, like I care"). I went to get her a bowl of water from my kitchen. When I came back outside, the neighbor’s dog barked at her through the fence. Roomie was not smart enough to realize the dog was not super enough to get past the fence and took off leaving me alone with a bowl of water. I should have named her Forrest. At this point in my life, as much as I think I would like it, a pet would be more trouble than it’s worth. I won’t actively go out looking for an animal, but if one ever adopted me I don’t think I could say no. I’m probably lucky that dog barked when he did because even though I told her otherwise, a can of tuna was surely next.

No comments: