Monday, December 10, 2012

Starting week 3


Mondays=long run days! Today I went 6.2 miles. I really regretted my hot chocolate and ice cream I had last night somewhere between mile 2 and 3 this morning though. It wasn’t anything emergent, even if I had a bathroom I don’t think I could have gone but the pain was enough to keep me from running and if I wasn’t exercising I probably wouldn’t have even had a problem. I felt like my intestines were on fire and I had to walk for just over a half a mile. I was so mad. I was contemplating cutting my route short and trying again later or doing my long run tomorrow since I was walking so much more than I wanted to. My legs, feet and lungs were fine and it was one of the few flat parts of my route! I don’t mind walking up hill but it’s against my rules to walk downhill or on a flat part on my jogging routes around here. So so so mad and irritated at my burning bowels. I really wanted to know that I could do 6 miles decently before I move on to 8 miles next week. That’s when I decided I might have to make some dietary adjustments. It’s not the first time on a run that I’ve had uncomfortable cramps that have forced me to a walk when otherwise I could run. This makes me sad. I’ve always been a little sensitive to milk products, but nothing debilitating enough to keep me from eating it. I eat dairy every day. I’ll have to be more attentive at taking my calcium pills now, but if it helps me feel better when I run I guess it will be worth it so I’ll start there and see if it helps.

BUT despite the burning and the walking way more than I should have, my discomfort eased away and I finished my 6.2 miles with a 11:50 a mile average pace! I was stoked, and not expecting that with the .6 miles I walked where I normally wouldn’t have. Once I started jogging again I kind of zoned out I guess and before I knew it I was coming up to my turns and passing places I usually would stop to walk for a bit at. I almost missed my turn off one street because I didn’t expect it so soon. It felt amazing to just keep going! Even though I’m trying not to focus or worry about my time I always want to at least finish with a 12 minute mile average pace, and usually I’ve been slower than that around 12:30. This was the first time since starting my training 2 weeks ago I’ve done it. I’m getting better and I can feel it.

After I finished my run I didn’t exactly want to keep running but I wasn’t gasping for air (in fact I was breathing pretty comfortably) or completely exhausted. My feet seem to be adjusting to my shoes ok and I haven’t had any serious blisters like I did a few weeks ago. I’ve got a nice callous on my left big toe.

No comments: