Saturday, June 29, 2013

Gluten free hello dolly's!

I’m not a recipe blog. I’m a blog about nothing blog, but as I discover new gluten free ideas or recipes that I love I’m probably going to share them here. I love Hello Dolly’s. I’ve been googling gluten free graham cracker recipes all week trying to figure out a gluten free version of this dessert (that is already mostly gluten free except for the grahams) since I promised somebody a few weeks ago I’d bring some to church tomorrow before I knew I was sensitive to gluten and there’s no way I want to be left out of eating one of my favorite treats. A lot of the graham cracker recipes I found take ingredients that could be hard to find or get in a couple days. I decided I would try this “graham cracker” crust recipe I found here:

 

It seemed the easiest and I knew I could find almond flour in the bulk section of Winco (I happened to see it there on my last visit). I just nixed the cinnamon. The rest of the recipe is the classic Hello Dolly recipe (aka magic cookie bar or something similar that is not as fun to say as “Hello Dolly!” except I use peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch as a flavor preference). Very simple and what I love is the gluten free version of this recipe is just as easy (if not easier because you don’t have to crush anything) as the original. I have only eaten one of the finished product so far, but I’d say they turned out amazingly well and taste just as yummy as you could wish them to. I guess the real test will come tomorrow when I have my friends try them. If this post is still up in July, you’ll know they made the cut.

Gluten Free Hello Dolly's 

1 ½ cups almond flour

4 tablespoons melted butter

2 tablespoons honey

½ teaspoon salt

1 bag (10 oz )Reeses peanut butter chips

1 bag (12 oz) Guittard semi sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup coconut flakes

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350. Mix almond flour, butter, honey and salt until combined. Press into bottom of greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly (or completely). Evenly sprinkle peanut butter chips across crust. Continue with chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk evenly over the entire thing. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden brown. Of course you can use whatever brand of chips you want. Reeses and Guittard happen to be the ones I use. And there’s no reason you can’t use whatever nut you prefer also.

Original gluten-full Hello Dolly’s recipe

1 cube butter

1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs

12 oz chocolate chips

12 oz butterscotch chips (I substitute peanut butter chips because they taste better)

1 cup coconut

1 can eagle brand milk

1 cup nuts

Melt butter in 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle in graham crackers. Mix. (I usually would mix the graham crumbs and butter in a bag and then press into the pan. It was easier. I would also lightly grease the sides but not the bottom of the pan with crisco). Sprinkle butterscotch, chocolate chips, nuts and coconut. Pour milk on top. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or 325 for 30 minutes.

No comments: